Friday, November 28, 2008

Quality Worship - can those words go together??

First off, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. I hope you enjoyed your turkey (or whatever food makes you happy) and you were able to reflect on what you are thankful for. I definitely have been very blessed and am thankful for a ton. Praise be to God.

So while enjoying some amazing turkey and many delicious sides with my parents today in sunny Lancaster, PA (all the rest of our family is mostly in Michigan), we started talking about worship. [ If you don't know, my dad is a worship leader who I have a lot of respect for. He switches up styles like no one else can and I think its awesome. ] Anyways, my parents were trying to understand my general skepticism and dislike towards contemporary worship music. I went on to explain my reasons, which in a short list, include: I think that the music we sing is just the music that is simply marketed well, music that all sounds the same (i.e. Chris Tomlin, Matt Redman, Paul Baloche, Tim Hughes - [click his name for his latest single], Big Daddy Weave, Casting Crowns, MercyMe, Hillsong, Gateway, Jeremy Camp, Lincoln Brewster, Michael W. Smith, Phillips, Craig, and Dean...all the exact same sound), music that all says the same thing (just substitutes a new name for Jesus), music that is overproduced, and what can often result in a concert experience rather than a worship one.

Now that list is just off the top of my head. I could spend entire posts unpacking each of those issues. But let's be honest. Everyone can rip apart Christian music, especially if it is the typical worship stuff. Also, I always operate under the assumption that if you are not helping solve the problem, you are more useless than the people doing the wrong. So I tried to explain what I like in worship. I like it very simple. No lights or flash. Usually just an acoustic guitar and a jimbay with a guy and a girl singing. But I can do the choirs and praise teams and even handle an occasional Sunday morning guitar solo. Ultimately it is my decision whether or not I am going to connect with God at this time I've chosen to praise/cry out to God. Music is not the big factor for me, its the lyrics. However, I think most would agree with me that when there is music that you are enjoying, it is SOO much easier to connect with God.

And maybe that is the problem. I don't really like the genre of music that ALL of worship is done in. It bores me. I feel like I could write an entire worship album right now before the new year, put together a band, market it really well, do a tour, get signed to a Christian label, and be set. But I could never do that. First, I'd be whoring myself out for money (and I struggle a LOT with how much money is made off of Jesus' name) and second I would not enjoy what I was doing in the least. Point still stands: it's much to easy.

So I started trying to think of artists who I thought were doing "worship music" (or corporate church music) right. I think that there are definitely songs from bands that have a ton of terrible singles that are sung in churches every week, but that have written some good songs too. I like a lot of the lyrics that have come from Mercy Me (older stuff), but their music is eh. I liked Tomlin's "Arriving" CD, but then every song was oversung (first three songs: Indescribable, Holy is the Lord, How Great is Our God...see my point?). And I haven't even been able to make it threw "Hello Love" (Tomlin's new one) more than twice - I just didn't like it. Jeremy Camp has written some very heartfelt songs that tried to talk about Christ in a fresh way, but sometimes I feel like he is straight out of Nickelback.

But that is also the problem (refering to the fresh way). All these artists are only talking about ONE thing: God. And "there is nothing new under the sun" (see: Ecclesiastes by Soloman). So, it is very hard to write anything fresh or creative. I understand that.

And so do Christians that are my age who are making music. If you start writing Christian music, especially worship music, say good-bye to your career. Any and all credibility is long gone as soon as you do that. That is sad. Seriously. Remember when Christians use to lead the way creatively? Me either. The only genre this takes place in is post-hardcore (what you may call "screaming"). Every other genre, Christians are behind. But I'll save that rant...

So I searched a little bit for some "good worship" music. One of my friends who recently opened for this band told me about how Tooth and Nail (pretty sweet label) just signed their first worship band. I couldn't believe that T-a-N would do that, but I checked out The Glorious Unseen and was impressed (you should play it in the background as you read/respond to this :). It was music that I could actually enjoy and used that crying-out-to-Jesus type lyrics that really connect with me. Lyrically I haven't listened all that much. It is a little bit "churchy" still for me, but I was still impressed. Here is a review from someone who did not like the album, but seems like they come from a somewhat similar place as me.

And I love Derek Webb. Talking about the social issues of our day and giving new analogies of the bride of Christ (Click here to hear Wedding Dress). And like I said, some of the artists I said I really struggle to listen to have also written good songs. I like Crowder and Jars of Clay. Worlds Apart will always live on as one of the best songs ever. And I like hymns and of course I love Psalms.

And that is my struggle. To fight the tension of saying, "hey in the end this won't matter, so who cares about this debate - just worship" and the other side of realizing that God has called us to do things with excellence. I just know we can be doing it better.

3 comments:

{STëLLO} said...

Here's my rant.

I really like the part on the hardcore bit. It's true. Christian bands have been at the forefront of the HC scene. Especially, out of the Erie area where hardcore kids are actually not a clique but a sub-culture. Bands like xDisciplex A.D., Dodgin' Bullets, Jesus Wept, and of course War of Ages are all out of the Erie area, and other bands like ZAO, A Love For Enemies, and Sanai Beach all are awesome HC bands that all are Christian.

I guess the thing about the worship music is that the lame uncreative style allows for an expectable melody which everyone can follow and sing-along with... and that's what it is a sing-along, not an attempt to create awesome music. And the lyrics get old, there's no insight to life... and the surprising thing is the bible is chalk full of insights to life, but Christian music is, to put it in the words of Paul, stuck on milk. This is the problem. Christian music unfortunately only ministers to Christians by not breaking the parameters of lyrical and musical constraint. We're still stuck on God loves you and never really understanding it. It's a feel-good message in a comfortable package. This cuts down on truthfulness in lyrics and creativity in sound.

Even with this, one can argue that all secular music is the same... yes pop music sucks. Listen to the radio and you heard the same slutty beats and sleezy lyrics you heard last week. That's just it, music that has any chance of radio play is strictly "marketable". It just goes to show that most people don't even listen to the music in the same way any musician would. But God gave us gifts to specifically use for excellence and by the way Christianity isn't marketable. Jesus said himself he came to set people against eachother. Paul confirmed Jesus' words by being beaten and imprisoned. Christianity is supposed to be hated, and non-marketable. WE'RE SUPPOSED TO BE DIFFERENT!!! If Christian producers and marketers realized this point of Christianity Christian music wouldn't be sounding more country or more poppy; Christian music would be in the same realm with Death Cab For Cutie, The Decemberists, The Shins, Pattern is Movement, and Of Montreal... awesome music that either is really working to produce great lyrics or great sounds, and in most cases achieving both.

Christian radio just needs to open the opportunity for real ministry. Start searching and playing Christians who are writing music not necessarily in the "Christian Music" genre. Let's broaden our understanding of music, and what it means to write "Christian Music." Christian music should represent the eclectic body of people that make it up, and the Christian media outlets must showcase the variety that truly exists within it.

But rants aren't going to change anything, and ranting won't strengthen my understanding in theology, or even help my or anyone else's relationship with God. In my short 23 years of life, one thing I've found is that rants and arguments are good for thought, but actually living at the points of those arguments produces followers. And this is what Jesus did; he wasn't marketable, yet people flocked to hear what he was saying... why? Because he did not merely speak the truth he lived it.

benjamindavidbrown said...

Hey man,
I realize you posted this quite awhile ago but I just got around to reading it. Really good thoughts. Some of the same things I've been struggling with off and on. I've never really enjoyed worship music either. In fact, most of the time I hate it. I stole the glorious unseen's new ep so that I could listen to it. I hope someone reads that and berates me in lengthy paragraph form about 'how could you STEAL worship music?' I'm pretty sure worship music should be free anyway. One of my main turnoffs to the entire genre is that it seems to be marketing a tame, american Jesus, to tame, american Christians to lull them back to sleep to the fact that we aren't really following Jesus, all for a handsome profit. It's comfort music when we shouldn't be comfortable. I actually really like this Glorious Unseen EP. And it is very comforting. I feel more 'Christ-like' already just listening to it. Which can be a good thing, but can also be creating a feeling where no such feeling is deserved. I do, however agree with the writer of that review that it almost seems too purposefully trying-to-be-authentic instead of actually being authentic. And that's the thing about authenticity: you can't fake it. I can put no judgment on the heart's of the band, they are probably trying to authentically follow Christ. I saw that they also have merchandise- t-shirts, hoodies etc and it made me uncomfortable. Then I thought about how it probably makes people who see the shirts possibly go listen to the music. But the music is FOR people who are already Christian. Christians need inspiration and encouragement in their, I will not argue against that, but I feel that the goal of most 'Christian' music should be to draw those who are not followers into the fold. I guess there is a place for everything. The more I debate this issue, the more complex I realize it is and the more confused I become. After all, who am I to judge? Sorry that turned out to be an essay, but those are some of my thoughts.
Peace,
-Ben

Jonathan Sigmon said...

@Aaron - Awesome thoughts all around. Be encouraged that you ARE living that difference, trying to make a difference with your music and trying hard to make it creative and different and not just getting in your JPM's to sell your records (for those who do not know 'JPM's', it is Jesus Per Minutes) :) I also definitely agree that the radio stuff is terribly uncreative as well (as a whole). Throw in a new sex position and talk about the hottest alcoholic drink with a cool beat - you've just made yourself millions. It's frustrating, but that is why we have to promote music that is different, creative, and deals with our issues of every day life in a humane way.

@Ben - HOW COULD YOU STEAL WORSHIP MUSIC?!?!? haha. I would NEVER steal ANY music. What is a torrent? haha. Anyways, on a serious note, I have wrestled with whether or not a profit should be made off of worship music. I think a good starting point is "no", but at the same time we know all the costs associated with making any type of recordings. Should worship music be marketed? I guess so. Marketing is creating awareness to push people towards a purchase. It is the second part of that is the part that is hard to deal with - a profit just from Jesus' name.

If I were to be a worship artist, or even try to market myself as a Christian artist, I would be fine with re-couping my expenses, but I think as far as making a profit, I would want to be giving to a cause greater than my own checkbook. I wonder if people who only sing about God's love think about making money off of God? I often feel alone when I struggle with how much money is made off of the Bible (for example, I want the ESV Study Bible for Christmas, but it's listed value is $50! Then, they are selling some "Premium Calfskin" version for $250!!! WTF?). I just have a tough time battling the consumerism combination with Christ. I always wonder what He wants us to do with that, and when I look at the heart of Christ, it seems He would have us run away from it. The more I debate this issue, the more complex I realize it is and the more confused I become. Right on. It is complex and confusing, but I like your attitudes of continuing to think how Christ would deal with these situations - in revolutionary ways, not just making a quick buck off of people who are not listening to what is really being said.